I really can't decide how to start this entry. So much has happened here in Turkey during our first 24 hours. We met our new guide and driver, checked into an actual hotel rather than a hostel and we all experienced the art of bartering. Some had more luck than others. The weather has been ok. We still have a haze that blocks the sky, but it wasn't until today where we all experienced a degree of rain. So I guess I can start with our Turkish guide and driver.
I may have the exact spelling a bit off but the phonetics of them were supplied by the guide. Our guide is known as Erkel (Air-Cal) and our driver is known as Itatch (I-touch). When asked how to remember their names were told of the saying "I touch, you touch, we all touch". I don't know where he was going with that but you can imagine the thoughts going through the minds of the kids.
"Ugh...awkward."
Should we keep our eyes on where his eyes go? After a few more hours we realised they're harmless. Actually, they're quite funny and easy going. They find no offence when some of the boys (and Mal) seem to buy everything Turkish from a fez hat to a few robe-like hats. Hold your comments when you see this, but please leave something below. I always appreciate someone else's humour aside from my own.
After leaving the airport we made our way to the Q-Inn Hotel. The bus was enormous compared to the small and narrow streets of a major city like this. When we stopped in the hotel we already stopped traffic. Cars were honking every five seconds as hotel staff yelled back at the drivers while taking our bags up the stairs. We enjoyed a rooftop dinner before settling into our rooms, of which were definitely better standard. Hostels are great because they allow you to mingle and slum it with many different nationalities. I think that after the walking we have done a decent room was more than welcomed. It was also the first time I had my own room. Granted it was only for a night, but a queen sized bed is a treat when you're a 6'3 in a single. We checked out early after breakfast and headed on the coach for a trip to the Blue Mosque and the Grand Bazaar. We knew full well that blocking the street was not going to be ideal, and it does put a damper on the schedule of others.
We were told that when the bus was pulling up we were to be ready on both sides of the street so that we could load all the bags at the same time. We heard the roaring of the engine and dashed for the white bullet cloaked in a Mercedes-Benz logo. I-touch hurled them in like turkeys to a starving set of homeless people. We made boarded with luggage in 30 seconds flat. 29 pieces of luggage in 30 seconds. Well done.
The way this was going to work was to locate the leather shop and watch me barter so they knew how to do it. After making a few trips around the main road of the bazaar (which boasts over 3500 stores) I located one from a guy who was really pushing me into his store. Sucker. You want my business, don't you? Some apple tea? Of course! Game on, bro!
I tried on a few styles, made some comments regarding authenticity and quality and then asked the girls which style looked better. I had an idea but it's always nice to include them in the experience of bazaar shopping. The lighter's flame didn't wreck the coat so the leather was good quality; he said it was waterproof and my water bottle solidified that; and I noticed the stitching was good when I attempted to pull one out as he was helping someone else. I was ready to barter. I hope you can follow along.
---
"Alright, how much?"
"For this I give you good price of 480 Lira." (about 250 AUD)
(I go at least 1/3 of the price)
"I can do 200"
"Sir, that is no good for me. Way too low."
"Well, that's my offer." (short and sweet)
(He takes out his calculator, because we all know they work correctly eh)
"I tell you how it works, sir. I say 480, 10% go to tax, then we take ....." (he spoke quickly and just punched buttons) ..."I can go maybe 400."
"225, mate, but that's it. I have to be going soon."
"Sir, please understand, this price you ask does not go well for me. I must make something from the sale. Most of it goes to the factory. Here, take my card and see on internet. We are real company."
I paused and waited for him to correct his mistake of 400.
"Ok, I can go 360."
"You seem like a nice guy, and it's a nice jacket, but I don't have that much else. 250."
"Sir, shake my hand."
"This isn't a verbal contract to a deal bud."
(Shakes hand)
"I go 300 and that's it."
"270."
(He shrugs his head)
"295."
"Let's go girls."
...
"280!"
Deal
------
That's how we do it. 480 down to 280. I knew that Majella caught on and I hope that the the other girls will use this trick later on trip. Mitch's rules of bartering are as followed:
1.) They must ask for you into the store because it shows they want the business and will go for what they can to get a sale. That means lowering their price.
2.) You need a price in your head and know to never go past it or else you lose the battle. I start at at least 33% of the price they asked. If it's $20 I'll say $6.50 and I'll stop raising my price around 40% off (60% of the asking price).
3.) If I know it's not going the way I want I just leave. There are 3500 stores all giving the same products. I don't need your store, buddy. Charmaine Watkins knows that full well as I got her a shirt $20 Lira less because I walked away. The shop keeper snapped his fingers after 10 feet of me walking. What a smile I had on my face.
4.) Other tools you use are: "I'm leaving soon...I'm a student with low money..." Take your pick. At the end of the day. Even if you leave with buying something 40% less, you still may have come off on the losing end. If you get them pissed off when bagging the gifts you've got them. It's a power struggle that you need to accept. I never feel bad for someone who is bent on making me a fool.
Life is a book and those who travel are able to add many pages to their journey. Gifts and souvenirs have a story. Tell them when someone asks, and remember the times where you had an experience different to that of the simple one in your household.
Travel and see the world. It's the only way to receive a decent return on the investment of flights and hotels.
Peace be upon you
As-alam alyakum
![]() |
| How do you say "I don't know him" in Turkish? |

| Kangaroo Style - pickpockets beware! |



No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.